Air Conditioning Update: Most components are installed
Because things progress slowly in my little world, and since I’m often stymied by a lack of some essential item, I tend to shift from partially completed task to partially completed task. So while I don’t have a lot of completed tasks under my belt, I’ve been able to slowly chip away at many things over the past few weeks and months. One of the focus areas has been the installation of air conditioning components. I’ve now got the evaporator and control assemblies installed, as well as the condenser and filter/dryer partially installed. None of the hoses are hooked up yet, obviously, since the engine isn’t yet in the car, but I’m now at the stage that dropping the engine in will be the next logical step.
Installing the air conditioning evaporator wasn’t complicated, but it did need some modification to fit my car as designed. Apart from drilling two large holes for the hoses, though, nothing is permanent about the installation, i.e. if I ever want to go back to stock, I can for relatively little money. The main change I had to make was to move the mounting location for the top bracket over by one hole and then bend the pre-bent a/c line a little so that everything would fit correctly and line up once I pull the hoses in.
Other than that, the rest of my work has mostly been to wrap or clean up wires so that once I finish, everything on the car will look to the casual observer as if the car had come from the factory as now equipped. I’ve wrapped the pigtail that goes to the heater control valve in black tape as well as the pressure switch wires which come from the condenser and head to the evaporator (as a safety measure). The trick to wrapping harnesses, it seems, is to use the correct non-adhesive tape and to always tape or tie the end of your wrap so that it doesn’t come unraveled. ElliottTape made (it’s now apparently discontinued) a perfect tape for this which is temperature resistant to 500º. Not too bad for under $20!