Classic Auto Air Evaporation Installation
After fighting for three hours Sunday night with the Classic Auto Air evaporator, part of the PerfectFit Elite system I purchased, I’m beginning to regret my decision to install air conditioning in the Disgustang. I fought with the compressor installation a week or two ago as well, and that took several calls to their customer service folks before I was finally able to resolve the issue. At that point, we’d determined that the order in which I’d installed the brackets was preventing everything from lining up. My response was that they should have specified the sequence if the steps needed to happen in a certain order. In my mind, the order most of us would naturally follow would be: 1) Install brackets, and then 2) Mount compressor on brackets. That didn’t work for me. What I had to do was, 1) Partially install brackets but leave everything super loose, 2) Mount the compressor to the brackets, 3) Tighten the brackets a little, 4) Snug up the compressor, 5) Finish tightening the brackets.
Sunday was even worse. I decided to install the evaporator/interior air handling unit, since I’d drilled the holes a few weeks and already bench calibrated everything. The instructions are pretty detailed but they don’t quite mesh with reality. On one page it tells you what the contents are of Bag “B,” and then two pages later they tell you to pull out a washer from bag “B” that doesn’t exist because you used it on the previous page. Not the end of the world, I substituted a 1/4″ washer I had lying around, but still, frustrating nonetheless.
However, a little later I came to a point where I had loosely inserted two bolts to hold the evaporator in place, at which point I was instructed to mount a bracket to the back of the unit so that the evaporator could be angled slightly toward the front of the car (for drainage purposes). The bracket in question is held to the evaporator with four Phillip’s screws, and then it’s supposed to be screwed to the cowl with a Tek (self-tapping) screw. Well, after farting around with it for an hour, there was no way I could figure to get the bracket anywhere close to the cowl.
The evaporator can’t be moved any more toward the firewall, the tubes that stick out the back are jammed up against the firewall as it is. It can’t go sideways or up and down either, the top and side of the case are hitting the cowl and kick panel already. And yet, I can fit my hand in the space between where the bracket is and where the cowl is. The angle of the bracket is wrong, too. I tried forcing it at one point, and the screw just pulled itself right out of the hole, stripping the threads with it…
So, in my desperation, I tried multiple attempts to change the bracket to get it to fit (see the featured picture). I bent the tab further, I made more bends to try to get the tab closer to where it needed to be, but nothing really worked.
A quick call to customer service yesterday confirmed what I’d suspected: a different bracket is required depending on when and where the car was manufactured. Classic Auto Air, in typically great fashion, will be making it right and sending me a different bracket. I’ll update you all when I get it…