Engine Dressing

Engine Dressing

Engine Dressing

The past two weeks and weekends have been spent working on engine dressing.  It sounds a bit like salad dressing, but “dressing the engine” refers to installing all the accessories, sensors, and whatnot to make it complete.  It was a slow process partly because, as usual, I didn’t have everything I needed.  I could’ve made what I had work, but because my car was originally equipped with the Thermactor system, that would have meant re-using the air pump bracket without the air pump…and I thought that looked silly.  I didn’t realize the alternator and the air pump shared a bracket until I started to lay out everything and in frustration pulled up my disassembly pictures. Luckily NPD had the bracket in stock, along with various other pieces of hardware I need.

The power steering pump, the oil pressure sending unit, the temp sending unit, and the crank pulley all went on without a hitch. The air conditioning compressor refused to fit with the spacers provided, or so I thought. I followed all the steps in order, and at the end, the spacers seemed to be 1/4-inch too long.  I fooled with it a couple of times and finally caved in and called the tech line.  Long story short, I hadn’t done anything wrong, but by doing everything in a slightly different order, the compressor fits just fine.  One thing the guy at Classic Auto Air noticed was that I would need to rotate the compressor 90-degrees if I ever wanted to close the hood.  I probably would have seen that the hood wouldn’t close once the engine was in the car, but it’s nice to know now so that I don’t have to fool with it again.  I can’t speak highly enough of Classic Auto Air’s US-based tech support, they really know their stuff.

I can’t permanently mount the alternator yet because the top bolt uses the same screw hole I’m going to be needing for the hoist chain, but I did temporarily remove the chain to test fit it, and it should go in easily once the engine is in the car.

And with engine dressing complete, the engine is basically ready to go into the car.  Over the next week or so I’ll take some time to get all the parts together so that once we start, we’ll have everything we need ready to go.  If all goes according to schedule and life doesn’t get in the way, I’ll be putting the engine back in a week from this Sunday.  We’ll see!