Interior Disassembly

Interior Disassembly

December 2014

The main reason the Disgustang needed to be in the garage was because I need to be able to pull the glass and take care of interior disassembly before it heads to paint, and the last thing I need is more rust to deal with.  A side benefit, of course, is that I can finally add “under construction” insurance to my policy and start to cover my work.  For the last year and a half, I’ve regularly joked about the danger of possibly dropping the Mustang into the pool.  Whenever I had to raise or lower it on the jack stands, or even when I’d roll around on the creeper, the thought of accidentally having the car end up in the swimming pool would cross my mind, and the fact that I had no insurance coverage on it made me even more nervous, even though the possibility was extremely remote.  Luckily in the 18 months the car was sitting outside my bedroom window, the only thing that ended up in the pool was a shallow socket, and that was only because I’m a clumsy idiot who hasn’t yet mastered the art of walking.

Now that I’ve got the car in the garage, I’m quickly ripping out the interior.  Well, I’m trying to disassemble it, but since the car sat outside all those years, the upholstery doesn’t want to come out cleanly.  If you blow on it, the vinyl tears.  For anyone who’s doing this, I’d recommend a dust mask and safety glasses…it kicks up a mess, but it’s pretty fast work.  It only took me a few hours to strip the interior clean.  Unfortunately I’ve run out of space to store things now that the car is in the garage, so despite some reservations, the seats are going to have a new home inside the house.

The side glass came out pretty easily too.  I’ve got video of how the door goes together, so hopefully I’ll get everything back in correctly when the time comes.  I can’t stress enough the importance of taking lots of pictures, bagging and saving every piece of hardware, and taking video of every little piece you can think of.  Already those habits have saved me lots of time, and even then, I probably haven’t done enough documenting.

Lastly, I decided to tackle the windshield and back window.  Hewing to the advice of my friend Bud, one of the guys I know from the Automobile Driving Museum, I cut the gasket with a razor blade.  It was hard as a rock, and I’m positive that if I’d started to try to remove the windshield without cutting the gasket, I would’ve put my feet right through the glass before it came out.  Instead, with some nice, firm, even foot pressure, the windshield popped right out.  Same with the back window, in fact.  Apparently getting all the pieces of glass out without breaking one is a very rare occurrence.  I count myself super lucky!