Progress Without Completion

Progress Without Completion

Making Progress…

It’s been two weeks since I last posted, and that’s mostly because I haven’t finished anything lately.  I’ve made plenty of progress, but haven’t brought anything to completion.  Admittedly, the cable clutch kit / header clearance issue slowed me down somewhat because I had to uninstall the kit, box it up, and list it on Craigslist and eBay to try and get some of my money out of it.  As of this posting, it still hasn’t sold, even though I have it listed for about $30 less than everyone else is selling it for.

For the most part, I’ve been slowly hacking away at various small things.  I installed the export brace, filled the transmission, took the driveshaft in to have it shortened and rebuilt, poked around with the wiring some more, uninstalled and reinstalled the backup lights to get a better fit, stuff like that.  My major accomplishment is that I finally got my tires mounted on the styled steel wheels.

As I think I’ve mentioned before, the styled steel wheels need to be lug-centric balanced (whereas almost all cars today have their wheels and tires hub-centric balanced).  I called 20 or so tire stores and couldn’t find anyone who had the technology to properly balance the tires and wheels, similar to my experience trying to find an inexpensive body shop.  I’m sure there are tire places out there that do it, but I couldn’t find one.  Eventually I stumbled across Valley Discount Tire in Canoga Park, and they said they could do it.  By the time I was done unloading the wheels and the tires, they’d already mounted two of the tires on the wheels, and by the time I got back from moving my truck out of the way, they were done balancing all four.  I don’t know if they did it correctly or not since I wasn’t there to watch, but hopefully they did!  I won’t know for another several months.

Today I’m painting the driveshaft to get it ready for installation, and then at some point this weekend I should be putting in the new hydraulic clutch setup, which just arrived yesterday.  Maybe then I’ll be able to close the book on this transmission installation!