Once the engine compartment and undercarriage were completely stripped, the fun began. Scrubbing, wire brushing, pressure washing, and basically trying to get down to a clean, paint-able surface was the goal. Scrubbing the engine compartment is a long and labor-intensive process. I used a wire brush mounted to the drill, steel wool, a borrowed pressure washer, Gunk degreaser, Simple Green, and elbow grease to clean things up. No one device got the job done on its own, it was only after I’d used three or four different cleaning steps that I was finally satisfied with the surface quality. I was pretty much dirty every day, and because there was always something else that still needed cleaning, it took weeks to finally finish.
Thank goodness it was hot! It was the perfect time to lay on the creeper under the car in my bathing suit and pressure wash…and pressure wash…and pressure wash some more. But the more I scrubbed and scraped, the better it looked, and I ended up with a pretty decent surface ready for a new coat of paint.